Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunity NewsWhat's your NYE Plan B?

What’s your NYE Plan B?

Those planning on drinking to welcome in the New Year are urged to have a plan B when it comes to getting home.

Transport and Main Roads have launched an impactful drink driving campaign this month to put consequences front and centre.

“Choosing to drink and drive puts not only yourself at risk, but every person around you,” Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said.

“Tragically, in the first six months of this year, we lost 37 lives in Queensland from drink driving – that equates to one in every four lives lost on our roads.

“This is substantially higher than the previous five year average.

“It’s just not good enough.”

Mr Bailey said the campaign would put the consequences of drink driving in your hands.

“We are taking a hard-hitting approach this year, to shock potential drink drivers out of complacency by showing serious and unforgettable consequences,” he said.

“The campaign features a range of consequences right on the can, with names such as ‘lose your licence lager’ or ‘job loss bitter’ to show the devastating outcomes of drinking and driving right there at the moment of consumption.

“We are quite literally putting the consequences in your hands – it’s a personal choice to avoid a devastating outcome.

“Ultimately, we need people to realise that drinking and driving is absolutely never worth the risk.”

RACQ General Manager Advocacy Joshua Cooney has commended the State Government on the campaign, to help address the shocking number of Queenslanders who don’t take drink driving seriously.

“RACQ’s 2022 Annual Road Safety Survey revealed that more than one in ten drivers (13.3 per cent) admitted to driving when they thought they might be over the blood alcohol limit in the last 12 months,” Mr Cooney said.

“Our survey also showed that around 10 per cent of people thought they could have two or more standard drinks each hour after the first hour and still be okay to drive, but that amount would likely put them over the limit.

“This campaign is a great initiative to highlight the very real risks of drink driving, educate motorists and hopefully change driver behaviour to save lives on our roads.”

Last year, 64 lives were lost and 890 people hospitalised from drink driving-related crashes. The numbers of lives lost from drink driving crashes are also predominantly under the age of 40.

The “Drinking? Never drive” campaign launched on 11 December, to remind Queenslanders of the risk around drink driving in the lead up to the Christmas and New Years period.

Minister Bailey said that every life lost is a person missing from the family table this festive season.

“So if you’re going to have a drink, whether it’s at your Christmas party, with friends, on Christmas Day or New Years, please have a plan B,” he said.

“Organise a designated driver, book a taxi, order an uber or call a friend – don’t get behind the wheel and do something you’ll regret.

“If you’re drinking, please remember, never drive.”

The campaign will continue through January and again over the public holidays (Australia Day, Anzac Day and Labour Day 2023) and in the lead-up to and during Easter 2023.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Child shot at Chahpingah

A teenage girl is in hospital after she was shot in the arm at a South Burnett property on Tuesday evening. The Queensland Ambulance Service...
More News

Funding to boost iconic berry festival

The iconic Mundubbera Blueberry Festival has received significant funding to assist with the running of their 2026 festival. Mundubbera Blueberry Festival was recently announced...

Tractor fire at Haly Creek

A burning tractor south-west of Kingaroy triggered a large response by firefighters on Tuesday afternoon. The Queensland Fire Department sent five crews to the intersection...

Racing on despite the rain

Despite the wet weather conditions over the weekend, this didn’t stop the Nanango Races from putting on an excellent performance of horse power. On...

Shine at Music Awards night

The Kingaroy Golf Club will play host to one of the region’s most anticipated celebrations on 19 March with this year’s South Burnett Music...

MBDA focus on business

The Murgon Business and Development Association Inc. (MBDA) gathered for its first meeting of 2026 on Thursday, 12 February, at the Royal Hotel, bringing...

Man critical after Wonbah crash

A man is in a life-threatening condition after his car plunged several metres down an embankment near Mount Perry today. Firefighters, paramedics and police are...

Resilience boost for Crow FM

The Gambling Community Benefit Fund has reached Round 124, and continues to deliver for the community. Wondai's very own Crow FM was announced to...

Leaders for St Pat’s

Another year, another round of school leaders. St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School in Nanango welcomed three new Year 6 School leaders, all eager to...

Nanango’s young leaders

A group of five Year 6 students at Nanango State School have promised to spend their time as school leaders by helping their peers...

Wondai’s captains lead the way

Wondai State School's student body will be able to rely on a team of dedicated junior and senior school captains in the new year. Annarah...