Residents of Cherbourg’s Murray Road are asked to boil all tap water until further notice, as the dangerous bacteria E.coli was detected in the local water supply today.
The Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council issued a boil water alert just after 9:30am today, Friday 10 November, informing residents of “9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Men’s Shed, Lot 393, 394 and 397” along Murray Road up to Bert Button Lookout to begin boiling their tap water before use.
Escherichia coli infection can lead to severe stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and even pneumonia and urinary tract issues.
In severe cases, it can lead to kidney failure, seizures and septic shock, and it is particularly dangerous to people who already have a weakened immune system such as children or the elderly.
To make tap water safe to drink, Council advises to boil the water and let it cool fully before use, storing it in clean, closed containers for future use if not consumed immediately.
Residents in the affected area should also boil their water when using it to brush teeth, wash and prepare food or drinks, prepare baby formula, make ice, and bathe infants.
Unboiled water can be used to flush toilets, take showers or baths, as well as wash dishes and clothes, as long as they are allowed to dry completely before use.
Council stated that it was working closely with Queensland Health to monitor the water supply for E. coli.
The boil water alert will remain in place until CASC and Queensland Health issue an ‘all-clear’ notice; Council will provided regular updates to residents in the meantime.
Residents who are concerned about their health should contact 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84), their local doctor or local hospital and advise them of any issues.