Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunity NewsCouncil's mad dash to answer floods

Council’s mad dash to answer floods

South Burnett Regional Council has called another Local Disaster Management Group meeting this morning to assess the damage of last night’s storms, with Mayor Kathy Duff saying road repair costs have already climbed well past a quarter of a million dollars.

A series of severe thunderstorms battered the region on the night of Wednesday 18 December, with over 60 roads still blocked due to damage or flooding at time of writing the following morning.

In response to the heavy rain and subsequent flooding, the LDMG last night raised its activation level to ‘Stand Up’; following the 19 December meeting, it has now stood down again.

The region’s council this morning brought representatives together from State Emergency Service crews, police, and other stakeholders to survey the damage to the road and infrastructure network and devise a plan of attack.

South Burnett mayor Kathy Duff said motorists should visit the region’s emergency dashboard before heading out onto the roads, but added a warning that not all flooded or damaged roads may be listed on council’s maps yet.

“Some of the roads are not [listed on the dashboard] because council haven’t been able to get to them – so just be careful and drive safely,” Mayor Duff said.

She explained that council crews tasked with surveying the damage found themselves cut off by flooding or damaged roads on numerous occasions last night, making their job of providing an accurate overview of the region’s road conditions difficult.

“Ideally we want people to (…) stay off the road if they can,” the mayor said.

Mayor Duff urged locals who come across any damage to council-owned roads – be it flooding, fallen trees or other issues – to get in touch with her team.

Owing to the widespread damage caused by last night’s storms, the region’s residents have already begun bombarding council with road reports and maintenance requests.

Mayor Duff said she and council’s after-hours emergency team had been fielding calls from the public “nonstop” since the storms tore through the region yesterday.

In describing the scope of the damage across the region “terrible” the mayor urged her constituents to have patience with council crews as they work to assess the situation.

“Council staff are doing their best, they’re working around the clock to get the road back safe so people can travel,” Mayor Duff said.

“Just be patient with council and drive to the conditions.”

She explained that repairing the road network will be a long and costly affair.

“We are going to be activating Disaster Relief and Recovery Funding Arrangements money,” Mayor Duff said.

“That means that the State and Federal Governments are going to fund all these roads – then we can do emergency work.

“That’s only just to get the road back and running, so people can travel on it.

“Then we have to go through a whole process where they assess the road, decide whether it’s in or out of flood damage, and it takes a long time to get it fixed,” she explained.

Council has to have sustained over $250,000 in damage to be eligible for the DRFA money – a figure the region’s mayor reckons had been surpassed even before last night’s heavy storms, though she could not speak on the exact amount.

“I’m assuming that [figure of $250,000] would be doubled or tripled by now, because there was just so much damage with the extra rain last night,” Mayor Duff said.

“We should know sooner rather than later if we’ve been declared a disaster area,” she said.

“Then we’ll have to go through the whole process [to access the funding] which does take time. But the emergent works can get done straight away.”

When asked about a timeline for the emergency repairs – whether people will be able to travel or return home for Christmas – the mayor said she was confident her team could manage to get the job done within the tight timeframe, though a number of roads would likely remain closed until they have been assessed and repaired by council and TMR.

“We’ve got to keep people on the roads, keep people safe,” Mayor Duff said.

Before you drive, check council’s emergency dashboard on dashboard.southburnett.qld.gov.au.

Never drive through floodwater. In an emergency, call Triple Zero (000).

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Man critical after Wonbah crash

A man is in a life-threatening condition after his car plunged several metres down an embankment near Mount Perry today. Firefighters, paramedics and police are...
More News

Shine at Music Awards nig

The Kingaroy Golf Club will play host to one of the region’s most anticipated celebrations on 19 March with this year’s South Burnett Music...

Leaders for St Pat’s

Another year, another round of school leaders. St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School in Nanango welcomed three new Year 6 School leaders, all eager to...

Nanango’s young leaders

A group of five Year 6 students at Nanango State School have promised to spend their time as school leaders by helping their peers...

Wondai’s captains lead the way

Wondai State School's student body will be able to rely on a team of dedicated junior and senior school captains in the new year. Annarah...

School leaders for Mount Perry State School

New year, new school leaders, with four students raising their hands to become school leaders for Mount Perry State School. Year 6 students Axel...

Keen to lead at Proston

With the new year comes new school leaders. Proston State School welcomed 10 new student leaders, all who are eager to represent and lead...

Musicians band together

The South Burnett is blessed with a thriving, exciting and unified music scene. South Burnett music advocates Fitzy and Clare have been thrilled to...

Volunteers recognised for dedication to South Burnett

Australia Day is an excellent opportunity to celebrate local heroes, including dedicated volunteers. On 25 January, South Burnett Regional Council 2026 Australia Day awards...

Fair all stamped up

Stamp enthusiasts kicked off the year with Nanango's 39th annual stamp fair. Collectors from more than a dozen stamp clubs gathered at the Nanango...

Gardens, joy and colours of Burnett

Gardens, the South Burnett’s palette and joy are the muses of the art at Wondai’s gallery this month. Wondai Regional Art Gallery welcomed four...